H-1B  Specialty Occupation

H-1B permits U.S. immigration lawyers in Vancouver, B.C. (up to six years) employ a foreign national in an occupation having theoretical and practical application of specialized knowledge. The applicant must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience and education.

The challenge people are faced with when applying for an H-1B visa in this category is that there is an annual cap of 65,000 visa approvals. However, the cap does not apply if the applicant has obtained a master’s degree before filing for the H-1B Visa. The cap is for the year from October until the end of September and applications can be filed in April for the October start date.

The applicant can only work for the employer. However, the employee can have more than one H-1B if the position is part time.  The employee can easily switch employers.

After the application is approved, a Canadian can go to the US border to obtain the required I-94 card and enter the U.S. Visas can be renewed from inside the U.S. by filing an application and are not subject to any numerical limitations.