Marriage and family


A U.S. citizen can sponsor a foreign citizen by marriage. There are two approaches.

  • First there is the fiancé or K visa. It requires (1) Engaged to be married to a United States citizen; (2) Bona fide intention to marry;(3) Eligible to be lawfully married- no current spouse;(4) Met in person at least once in two years prior to filing the K-1 visa petition (5) Willing to marry within 90 days of entry into the United States; Once married the spouse applies for a change of status. The disadvantage of this process is that it takes about 4-6 months before the fiancé can enter the U.S. and then another 4 months to change status after the marriage.